The Notre Dame congregation was one of the first convents to provide education and culture to nuns, uniting 2 elements, contemplation and action. They received education on Christian doctrine, reading, writing, mathematics, arts and crafts.
Despite the fact that authorities were reluctant, and thanks to the support of Anne d'Autriche, who, during the reign of Louis XIII, spent her summers in Compiègne, the congregation of Notre Dame, canon of Saint Augustin, was allowed to establish itself in Compiègne in 1647, on the site of the current 'Séroux' street.
Queen of France, Marie Leszcinska, Louis XV's wife, who met the nuns during a retreat and during several visits of the Royal court in Compiègne, was fond on their instruction and decided to establish the nuns at Versailles.Thus in 1772, following Queen's request, the nuns moved.
Deserted, the convent was destroyed and a mansion, with stables, was built in front of the preserved garden. It remains the only vestige of the convent.